Sunday, March 26, 2006

Belly dancing

Guy friend: "So girls, were are you going tonight"
Me: "Out.. Ladies night." With an assertive smile
Guy friend: "Yeah... but were?"
Girlfriend: "Oh we're going to watch some belly dancers."
Here I start feeling a little uncomfortable, giggle and scratch the back of my neck... knowing what would come next.
Guy friend with a quizzical, stumped look in his face: "What do you mean belly dancers? You girls are going to go out to watch girls dance, like a strip club.. why would you want to do that, are you gay?"
Me: "Heh heh, no we're not gay... "
Girlfriend: "Actually belly dancing is not supposed to be thought of in that way."
Guy friend: "No, what do you mean..."
Girlfriend interrupts to explain the history of belly dancers and it origins.

I too did not have a clear knowledge of the role belly dancer/ing held in history, I had many misconceptions of who they were and what they did. So I thought that today would be a great day for a little history, enjoy:

http://www.shira.net/whole-family.htm

P.S: I did have a video clip of that fun night out... I still haven't figured this blog thing out, so berry berry sorry

No comments: